Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day, Mayday!

Let me tell you how the world ends.

Ok, well, Noah insisted that would be a good opening sentence and help inspire me to write. I would disagree, but I am writing, so....

Today Noah was, as he so loving puts it, "fired for being incompetent" from his job at the coffee shop. It sucks because there was no warning. We went in to pick up his paycheck and Michele pulled him aside and said, "I'm taking you off the schedule." At least she offered to be a reference.

I feel angry over the whole thing and, perhaps worse, justified in my anger because I don't understand why they would let him go. He's great with people, is a hard worker, and is great at the food prep. So even if he did mess up a coffee a day, he was still new and learning and at least he tried and cared. And I'll admit, I am completely biased in my view. I love him to death and think the world of him, so when someone hurts him, it really upsets me. I can't even imagine what I'll be like when we have kids!

Noah can't really explain how he feels. He says he thought he was doing ok, but clearly he wasn't so he doesn't feel his thoughts hold any weight. After talking to Michele, he understands the logistics of it - Their business is based on repeat-customers and if they're complaining, then their business suffers. But he just wishes he had known that something was wrong. He would have done anything from taking a paycut, to reducing his hours or spend more time training to avoid losing the job and having to go out and try to find something new. It's not that he minds failing. He doesn't like it, of course, but it doesn't bother him. What does bother him is not improving and to not even be given the chance to improve really gets to him.

So for now we'll go back into survival mode for a bit. And tomorrow Noah will start searching for a job. Maybe something in a lab. A little experience in his field of study would be good.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe your unemployed hubby should hang with my unemployed hubby.

    Also I just my opinion, sounds like the manger did not communicate with Noah so that he could become that spectacular employee they wanted him to be. How else would he know what needs improvement.....I'd buy a hot chocolate from you Noah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete